Monday, April 16, 2012

I Believe in Miracles

In Biblical times people were witness to many miracles.  They saw lepers healed, blind eyes see, and the dead raised.  We know that Peter walked on water.  That a paralyzed man was made to walk.  And we wonder why we don't see those same miracles today.  Is God still in the business of preforming miracles?

I know it can be a touchy subject and I find myself cautious around it, but I do believe in current day miracles.  I've seen them and lived them.  And I promised I wouldn't forget.

Mankind is supposed to learn from our mistakes.  We are reminded of what our parents did wrong, so we don't make the same mistake.  We say things like "don't let history repeat itself".  But we often neglect to remember the things that went so right.  We will wipe our foreheads, say, "woah, that was close" and move on forgetting all about it.  The Bible tells us to remember God's miracles.

I will remember the deeds of the Lord, yes, I will remember
your miracles of long ago.  Psalm 77:11

Remember the wonders he has preformed, his miracles,
and the rulings he has given... Psalm 105:5

I remember my biggest miracle.  And I remember it often.  It causes me to praise the God who is merciful and kind, and who rescued me.  And I'm not talking about almost failing Anatomy and Physiology my senior year of college... but that was a close one!

I find myself reflecting back on what happened and shuddering at what could have happened.  My little girl had a good chance (a really good chance) of having a mental and physical disability.  I was told to expect it.  When the doctors talked about her, they assumed she already had it.  They told me she'd never have children and would be very different from other kids.  She'd look different, learn slowly and those were the easy parts.   

It was a miracle that after her amniocentesis was studied she was found to be perfect.  Perfect!

We rejoiced in that moment, and rejoice still.  We remember.

When I look at her birth, and realize we both could have died, I'm overwhelmed with gratitude.  My placenta abruption and early delivery were not expected.  The efforts to stop labor were ignored by my body.  We were told to expect anything with the baby.  Underdeveloped lungs, complications from her already present cystic hygroma, and a long hospital stay.

It was a miracle she came out crying, 5 pounds large and needing only 5 days in the NICU. 


She is a miracle.  All I have to do is look at her face, and I see God's goodness.  He rescued her and me.  

Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning,
great is your faithfulness.  Lamentations 3:22-23




1 comment: